Deja vu

A few weeks ago, I found myself passing by my neighborhood BADILA store...

...and something on the window caught my eye.

The next day, I was inside the fitting room, alone with two objects of desire and one object of controversy.

The two dresses were quite wonderful...

but the actual objective of my visit was to see the top from the window, up-close.
You see, I had a serious case of deja-vu...

You might remember my beloved Pull & Bear smiley faces scarf. Here's a picture of me wearing it in Venice back in November:

I had originally bought it in October of 2007. I have to admit, I wouldn't remember that information exactly if it wasn't for the tag.

Anyway, here's the pattern of my scarf:

And here's the pattern on the Badila top:

I was quite puzzled, but didn't want to jump into hurried assumptions, so I decided to ask someone who might know how to explain this better than me. Good thing I did, because it turns out this obvious copying of prints couldn't possibly be Badila's fault. You see, Badila is a small Greek business, that simply doesn't produce enough clothes to be able to afford printing its own patterned fabrics. Instead, they get them already printed from fabric factories that cater for clothes companies like Badila, producing new fabrics every season, according to the most popular fashion trends. Well, I guess some lazy designer in that factory thought no-one would notice if he got "inspired" by an old scarf. Guess what pal, we did!

I wonder what is Badila's view on this matter. Would they have chosen this fabric, had they known it was copied from another company's garment? One that sells lots in Greece, nonetheless?